compute-1-1’s power supply died…

November 16, 2012
by Wm. Josiah Erikson (wjens)

They’re dying like flies… hahaha. Yeah. Ahem. I guess these ancient (2001) p/s’s can’t really be expected to last this long or handle what I’m throwing at them. They’ve done a bang-up job really, and hardly owe us anything…

6 Responses to “compute-1-1’s power supply died…”

1.   wjens Says:

Well, I don’t appear to have a spare power supply at the moment… guess it’s time to order a couple!

2.   wjens Says:

Actually it doesn’t appear to be the power supply – tearing apart compute-1-2 to swap components until I find the faulty part.

3.   wjens Says:

Hm. Compute-1-2 just died in the same manner. Could be processor, could be motherboard, could be because I’m using ATX 1.2 power supplies when they need the extra 4 pins… I think I’ll buy another processor, another motherboard, and a new ATX 2.x power supply. I think I’ll get different motherboards too, if I can find them… I don’t like the radeon driver problem these have.

4.   wjens Says:

Turns out the motherboards in these nodes are notoriously bad (MSI 760GM-E51 (FX) ). I bought a new one: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 and it didn’t work with compute-1-1’s processor, but it did work with compute-1-2’s processor… but I had tried swapping processors before, so I think that both the processor AND the motherboard were bad… so I’ll need another processor and another motherboard to fix compute-1-2. Power supply seems fine though 🙂

5.   wjens Says:

While I’m RMAing CPUs and motherboards and whatnot, since the cluster is getting so crushed right now, I thought I’d throw an old motherboard and CPU (Core 2 Duo 2160) back in compute-1-2. I pulled a couple of the 4GB sticks of RAM out of the Linux box in the drome and put the 8GB sticks from compute-1-2 in it, and put the 4GB sticks in this mobo, since it only supports 8GB. It should be able to run what Micah and Tom are throwing at the cluster right now, though. Every little bit helps, and I didn’t have anything else pressing….

6.   wjens Says:

The RMA’ed FX-8120 came back today. When Tom’s runs are done (or maybe after vacation – they won’t necessarily be done before then), I’ll rebuild 1-2, and then maybe I’ll put 1-2’s current motherboard back in gibson with some new RAM, as gibson’s current motherboard’s lack of ability to load kernels from the hard drive is highly problematic, to say the least 🙂