Lefthand rack replaced with square hole rack, finally

June 23, 2011
by Wm. Josiah Erikson (wjens)

In anticipation of two new 48-core nodes (!!), Kyle Harrington and I (thanks Kyle!) replaced the old threaded-hole rack that compute-2-x, compute-3-3, compute-4-x, the head node, and the UPSes for the cluster sat in. I have not yet put compute-3-3 back up. The new Dells are coming with rails that only work in round or square hole racks, so in order to rack these and any other modern machines, this move was necessary. In the process, we had to shut down the entire cluster, and compute-1-10 did not come back up. Looks like a power supply. Compute-1-6 is down because I have replaced its internals with a hexa-core Phenom and 16GB of RAM, but the onboard ethernet is not supported by ROCKS. I’m going to get a motherboard of which this is not true, but we are out of money, so it has to wait until July 1…

I just got an email that the two new 48-core nodes are in, so perhaps this afternoon, the capacity of the cluster will nearly double…

One Response to “Lefthand rack replaced with square hole rack, finally”

1.   wjens Says:

Oh right – and one of the older, floor-standing UPSes died as well, for no apparent reason. Nearly everything is running off the rackmount UPSes now, which is fine – they have new batteries and can handle it! Compute-2-x still isn’t on UPS, because I don’t have a 208v UPS in that room.